Michael Evans is an experienced building lawyer, having practised both 'in-house' for companies such as LendLease and Baulderstone, to private practice for leading building, construction and insurance law firms in Sydney for over 10 years.
Joining Whiteleys in 2014, Michael has built a solid practice in building and construction and insurance in the Central West of New South Wales.
Michael’s construction experience traverses both residential and commercial sectors. He acts for owners, builders, developers, principals, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and consultants in the following matters:
- Contract risk assessment, preparing, drafting and negotiating contracts from single residential dwellings, multiple residential dwellings and commercial projects.
- Project administration and regulatory advice.
- Construction claim management, including litigation and dispute resolution in NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (formerly the CTTT), NSW Fair Trading, NSW Local, District and Supreme Courts and alternative dispute resolution.
- Home Owners Warranty Insurance claims and other insurance claims including professional indemnity, construction all risks and contract works.
- Security of Payment Claims and Responses and debt recovery.
- Advice on building management, and rectification solutions.
- Builder's Licensing and NSW Fair Trading regulation and compliance advice.
- Drafting, preparing and negotiating in tenders for construction work
- Enforcing guarantees and defaults pursuant to contracts.
- Successfully ran a hearing in the Local Court representing an earth works contractor defending a claim of breach of contract in respect of work done to a local dam.
- Successfully used the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act to recover debts due to local contractors from out of region head contractors in both the Local and Supreme Courts (including using the Act to obtain payment directly from the client, without the middle man).
- Negotiated and agreed insurance coverage for incomplete and defective work pursuant to a Home Owners Warranty Insurance Policy.